Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Counting down

Only a few days left before the Gothenburg half marathon this Saturday.
When I received the race information a few weeks ago, I got really nervous. It struck me that this is for real. Now I feel comfortable about it. I have never done anything like this before so I don't know what to expect but I figure that if I only can be at the right place when it's time for me to start, I'll be ok. Then I just have to follow the crowd I guess. I'm sure it will be crowded, over 50 000 entrants. And even if there will be some that doesn't show up, there will still be a lot! of people there.

The race starts at 2 pm but I'm in startgroup 16 (out of 19) and we are scheduled to start at 3:46 pm.
Based on my 10k race last week and also on things that I've heard and red during last week, I have now formed a race plan for myself. My plan is this: Enjoy the event!
I'm not going to focus on time. I am going to check my splits to see what happens but I'm not going to let the split times matter that much. The main goal for me now is to reach the finnishline and to have fun on the way there. If I could do that in 6min/km I would be so pleased but if I'm going slower, that's fine too.

I haven't decided if I'm going to try to record some audio during the race. It would be fun to be able to share that with you in my next podcast episode but I guess I'm a bit scared of what people around me are thinking. On the other hand I will probably be rather anonymous in the crowd so it might be safe. It also depends on the weather. The forecast said warmer temperatures this week, and that could mean anything above 10C /50F.

My bib number is 56 640, if anyone want to check my result or something. It might be a challenge though, since the website is mainly in Swedish.
I'll let you know how it goes, here on my blog and I intend to tell you all about it in my next episode of the podcast.

21.2 kms is a bit longer than I have run before and it will surely be demanding at the last part of the race. I'll be fine for the first 10 - 15 kms, - 18 maybe, but then... we'll see.
I'm sure it will be fun though and I'm really looking forward to this Saturday.

Gohenburg half marathon

1 comment:

Matt said...

Krister, your mindset is PERFECT. Have a great run!